this probably should have been my first post

Everything prior to this post was shared in work shared blog, so the original publishing dates span back over 2016.

Here's the thing. Though I have considered a blog in the past, I have chosen not to pursue it, for multiple reasons. For instance. There's that old theorem about so many monkeys with so many typewriters and a certain amount of time, one of them would actually, coincidentally or accidentally,  reproduce the works of Shakespeare. Taking it further, I wonder how many blog entries I would have to write to say something profound, and how many readers would it require sifting through all the noise before profound stepped up and struck someone with sufficient strength that they forwarded it on, and would it ultimately be easier to determine the amount of licks required to get to the center of a tootsie roll tootsie pop.

Though I pretend to be a writer in my off time, did not believe I could produce sufficient material to hold an audience for a blog. Nor did I envision myself as someone requiring followers, and if I did acquire a following, I wonder if I really want to suffer the existential angst that goes with a blog and trying to be clever or insightful or even being that morning voice that greets you with varying degrees of coherence depending on the level of coffee consumed? This could too easily turn into "to be or not to be" soliloquy.

And does anyone really read blog posts? I usually avoid them because I don't really want to have to commit to liking or disliking a thing which is often subjective, and then I get disgruntled because FACEBOOK doesn't have a 'dislike' feature so I can minimize the noise coming across that channel. Now, I do admit to enjoying reading the comments that accompany any scientific or nature article oo youtube video, especially if it's about astronomy. If and when I get back to the University, either teaching or pursuing the PhD, (only so I can have a Tardis put in the front yard and legitematly declare 'I'm the Doctor,') I really think there is an illuminating study to be had just assessing how well our school systems have faired based on the apparent level of understanding demonstrated by the comments. Some of them are funny, most are just sad, and I'm hoping some were striving for irony, as I again, too easily, find myself wanting to leave comments to address the misunderstandings and before too long I feel like I've entered the opening sequence of 2001 a Space Odyssey and we're just primates hitting each other with bones while in the background a miraculous monolithic artifact looms waiting for us to stop chattering and listen...
 
Oh. There is something there. Isn't there?

Anyway, I like to write. I think, grammar aside, I could actually be good at it. For example, I have written and published 7 fan-fiction novels. Cumulative, they have generated fan mail from every continent, mostly good, and cumulative, there has been well over a hundred thousand downloads of my books, and even evidence that some of the material was used in a film. Even if it wasn't, the scenes that were used were exactly how I written it years before and worked just like I imagined, and so, if that's not motivation to pursue my writing, I'm not sure what is. If I had a dollar for every download, that certainly would have been a nice chunk of change and definitely motivation to write for a living.

I have been further motivated by the story of "50 shades of gray" author. Traditional publishers are probably seriously disturbed by the fact fan fiction is not going away and that someone has risen to the level of her status though by passing the gate-keepers who use to determine what and when we read. Sometimes, that probably a good thing, but I am certainly glad people like Disney, Dr Zeus, and J K Rowling weren't discouraged into quitting their vision by the many gate-keepers that rejected them time and time again. But then again, I have read genre stories that are just awful, and I wonder, how did this get published? Where was the quality control there? It really makes you wonder. Take music for example. There are some really great musicians in the world, who don't get air time.How does that happen?

But where does that leave me? Well, right here, on my blog. My fan fiction is published on Free.ebooks.net, and I don't want to make money off the fan fiction. That would violate copy right laws, but also, kind violate the ideals of the fan-fiction community that want good, free stories. However, I have now published my own fiction, under an alias, because my stories make "50 shades of gray" seem PG. I am hopeful, if not for 50 shades of success, to at least generate sufficient interest that I might do that which I love, to write.

thank you for visiting this site. :)

Comments

  1. Does this blog host have a mechanism for alerting your soon to be many commentators of activity?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts