the subtle but pervasive kink in society

I know I am not the only person to observe and expound upon hidden, special K. It is not my intent to sully things you may hold as pure and innocent, however, spoiler alert, if your mind hasn’t already taken you there with the following, then look away, as you may not be able to go back. It is, however, my intent to hold a dialogue with whomever would like to chat, so feel free.

So, let’s start with a favored children’s book. Curious George. I didn’t go looking for this. I was reading it to my toddler and though I read it as intended, purely innocent, my adult mind was going “WTF?!” Take “CG goes to the chocolate factory,” for example. The illustration of the machines that make candy are intimately linked together in suggestive ways and all have smiling faces. Okay. Maybe there isn’t anything there and it just looks that way to me. For further evidence and reflection, though, I offer you “CG goes to the animal shelter.” If you know CG, you will know there is always a setup to leave G alone with the warning, stay out of trouble. In this instance, the Man with the Yellow Hat says: “I have to go sign some paperwork, George. Please stay out of trouble.” Really? You have to be alone with the animal shelter director just to sign paperwork? No, really, you’re just dropping off a stray kitten that was too young to be left alone to fend for itself, and you have to sign paperwork for that? Okay, maybe it’s innocent enough, but then the very next line is: “George heard barking, but where was it coming from? George was curious.” So am I! The MwtYH made the director bark like a dog?

So, I am thinking about these subtle hidden special K, and contemplating. Whole thesis’s have been written about the special K that comes in the guise of Disney Princes stories. If you’re not sure what I am referring to, just let me say, kissing a sleeping princess against her will in order to wake her, well, I don’t have to spell that out, right? Can’t I just say “beauty and the beast” and you get it? And I am not saying anything necessarily bad. I like these stories. I love the Little Mermaid, but it’s ultimately a story about someone who isn’t happy with herself who changes in a big way and why? For Special K. But for more evidence, consider the hidden messages in songs. I am not talking about the obvious ones, like “young girl get out of my mind,” which clearly the author has come out of the closet as a special k perv, or even “into the night…” That is really in your face creepy, both the lyrics and the video. The unrolling of the carpet in that video, almost expecting her to be wrapped up in it, but if you look at the actresses face, clearly she is just present, as if having accepted her fate. But I am not talking about these songs. I am talking about the subtle ones that you are singing every year, like “Baby, it’s cold outside,” and “Cherish is the word.”

What, you say? What could be wrong with the Christmas song like “baby it’s cold outside?” Well, there is the confusion of where she says ‘no’ and yet he persists? (Or vice versa if you are listening to the one where the female is the aggressor, but I suspect it’s more ‘okay’ for the female to be the aggressor than the male, because who really believes a male will say ‘no.’) Does this help perpetuate the idea that no really isn’t no? How many no’s does it take to make a yes, and if you do get a final yes, would that ‘yes’ be inadmissible in court to do pressure and duress? But, when I hear the line from that song that says “Hey, what’s in this drink?” the song has been elevated in special K terms as chemical restraint. This goes beyond the application of wine as a social lubricant to modify no’s into yes’s. This is shades of Sleeping Beauty Fairy tales.

Okay, John, I will give you that’s a little creepy, but how do you get special K out of that great song, “Cherish is the Word,” by the Association, 1966. Well, I found the song stuck in my head this morning. Chewing gum is the best way to get a song out of your head, but I didn’t have any gum, so to get the phrase out of my head I deliberately sang the whole song. I actually know all the words, I have sang it so much. And so, I heard myself singing “You don’t know how many times I wish I could mold you into someone that would cherish me as much as I cherish you…” I came out of the song. Was that ‘mold’ or ‘groom?’ No, really, this is already a stalker song, right?! Guy watching girl from the outside wishing to be inside, and he spells it out for you in the lyrics. He clearly says he is not interested in a relationship with her, but just wants to “touch your face and your hands and gaze into your eyes.’ So, in my interest to not jump straight to conclusion that this is a stalker song, I youtubed it to listen to the actual words, and randomly opened a Barry Manilow version which turns “Cherish is the word” and “Windy” by the Association into a melody. Now, suddenly, the girl he is stalking in Cherish has a name! And if you listen to Windy by itself, you still get this impression that Windy is being stalked! Listening to the Barry version just turned the stalk idea into a ‘home run’ because who can sell closet stalker better than Barry? Well, David Cassidy 's version sold stalker, too.

Bear in mind, I am not saying I don’t like these songs. “You don’t know how many times” ‘that I have sung these, wishing that these songs were you, and me…’ And should I wish myself outside your bedroom holding a jukebox over my head, I would most certainly get arrested and awarded a restraining order. If I were in a Shakespeare drama, I wouldn’t have made it to the end because Juliet’s father would have caught me crooning below her balcony and shot me and piled me in the mass grave of all the other unwanted suitors. I am just saying. What say you?

Comments

Popular Posts